That fave lippie of yours, the one you’ve been hanging onto for ages and can’t give up? You know the one, the one that smells, well interesting when you take the lid off. Hmmmm, it might be time to say good-bye, sounds like it’s time to do a makeup bag clean out.
Gasp! We hear you say? Don’t worry, it’s just a great excuse to buy more makeup and let’s face it, who does not love that!
Anytime you notice separation in a product, a strange smell, mould or anything that just does not seem right, toss it, toss it now! If you’ve been having issues like conjunctivitis or other skin conditions, best usually to avoid makeup altogether until you heal but if you fear you’ve contaminated your makeup, always better to be safe than sorry and consider tossing it out, especially if it’s mascara.
How long do various types of makeup last before it’s time to throw them out?
- Mascara: best to send this one packing and buy a new one every 3 months.
- Liquid eyeliner: around 3 months.
- Powder products like eye shadows, blushers, face powders etc: you should get around 2 years out of these.
- Lipsticks and glosses: usually around 2 years.
- Pencils like eyeliners and lip liners: around 2 years, sometimes longer.
- Liquid foundations and concealers: around 12 months with all others around 2 years.
- Natural and organic products: around 6 months.